Welcome to Speech!
Name: Colleen Eldridge
Have a great summer!!
Now that the school year is coming to a close, it is important to consider the continuing speech needs of your child. I encourage you to continue working with your child in their speech notebook through the summer months. Reviewing previous speech homework pages and encouraging "good speech" everyday is very important. Your child has made a lot of progress in speech this year, and I appreciate your support and cooperation. I hope you and your family have a wonderful summer!
Here are some activities that you can use to help your child this summer:
1. Magazines - A scrapbook is fun to make - reinforcing categories -farm animals, fruit, summer activities, sports, etc.
2. Children enjoy reading or telling about pictures in books. Older children enjoy reading to younger children. Visit the library.
3. Counting and telling colors and names of cars, animals, etc. will include practicing numerous sounds to improve articulation and intelligibility.
4. Sing along to DVDs, television or the radio in the car provides a good model of speech.
5. Puppet Shows (paper bag puppets) - Many characters and stories can be created with puppets. A box makes a good stage. Let your child talk about them.
6. Play games such as: Simple Simon, Go Fish, Memory, I Spy, I am going on a picnic and I am bringing..., etc.
7. Walk and Talk - Take a walk around the neighborhood and talk about what is going on - dogs running, children playing, sounds you hear, etc.
9. What animal am I? Take turns thinking of an animal and acting out its actions (monkey eating a banana).
10. TV Talk - Have your child tell you what happened during their favorite show. This is good for memory and telling events in sequence.
11. Memories - Have your child draw pictures of places you visit. Write down what your child has to say, put together into a story book that can be enjoyed over and over.
12. Find this - While in the car you can play an alphabet or color game - Look for things that begin with letter A, then B, etc. or something blue or green (or animals or items in another category).
School Supplies for Sept. 2014
If your child has speech, please send in a black and white 100 page composition book.