Reminder that Friday, December 19th will be a half day for all students.
to you and your
George J. Chidiac
Please be aware that students in Grades 3-6 will be completing the PARCC Assessment this year, beginning with the Performance Based Assessment, currently scheduled for March 2-27, as well as the End of Year Assessment, currently scheduled for April 27-May 27.
Many parents have asked about the ability to “opt out” of the PARCC assessment. There is NO “opt out” policy for either portion of the PARCC assessment. Below is information from the New Jersey Department of Education addressing a parent’s ability to “opt out” of PARCC testing:
“State law and regulations require all students to take State assessments. For the 2014-2015 school year, the PARCC assessment will replace the prior statewide assessments - the NJASK in grades 3-8 and HSPA in high school; as such, all students shall take the PARCC assessment as scheduled. Since the PARCC assessment is part of the State required educational program, schools are not required to provide an alternative educational program for students who do not participate in the statewide assessment.”
To read the letter in its entirety, please click on the following link:
Below is the schedule for the Performance Based Assessment:
1. Students in attendance during regular assessment days will complete each section of the Performance Based Assessment and End of Year Assessment.
2. Students who are absent during the regular assessment days will complete each section of the Performance Based Assessment and End of Year assessment upon their return to school during the makeup testing sessions.
3. All students will be testing in a testing center with their homeroom class, in addition to several other homeroom classes. In the event that a student refuses to complete any assessment, he or she will remain in the testing center until the testing session is over.
4. Please note that all students will be testing in one of three testing centers during the allotted session, and there will be NO alternative locations for students refusing to complete the assessment.
5. Student absences during the March 2-27 and April 27-May 22 testing windows will be addressed in accordance to the District Attendance policy.